Dispensers for Safe Water are a proven, innovative, and low-cost approach to increasing rates of household chlorination.
- Chlorine disinfects drinking water against most bacteria including those causing cholera while protecting water from recontamination.
- Chlorinating water also means that people do not need to boil their water to disinfect it, saving time and natural resources.
Dispensers for Safe Water at a Glance
- Currently serving nearly 4 million people.
- Active in Kenya, Malawi, and Uganda.
- Includes a sustained water service: Dispenser hardware, community education, and a regular supply of chlorine.
- Ongoing maintenance is provided by an elected community ‘promoter’ who encourages use of the dispenser, reports any problems, and refills the dispenser with chlorine.
- Usage and functionality of all dispensers is closely monitored by Evidence Action field workers who deliver chlorine on motor bikes, and track issues with mobile phones.