Our work on maternal syphilis in Liberia started in 2020. Our technical assistance supports the Government of Liberia’s National AIDS and STI Control Program in scaling HIV/syphilis dual testing across the country, closing gaps in syphilis screening and treatment.
We've helped the Liberian government train 567 health facilities offering prenatal care and HIV testing services — nearly every one in the country — and over 5,000 healthcare providers on the HIV/syphilis dual test. As a result, syphilis screening coverage rose from less than 10% to 70% as of June 2023, and we are on track to reach the goal of 80% screening coverage by 2025.
We estimate that nearly 64% of syphilis-positive pregnant women are now receiving timely and lifesaving treatment. Our goal is to increase syphilis treatment coverage to above 80% by 2025.
- Syphilis screening coverage, up from less than 10%
- Nearly 64% of syphilis-positive pregnant women are now receiving timely treatment
- pregnant women tested for syphilis with the dual test
- additional syphilis-positive pregnant women treated
- adverse birth outcomes prevented, including over 800 lives saved
We support implementation of maternal syphilis screening and treatment in collaboration with the Liberian Ministry of Health’s National AIDS and STI Control Program.