Evidence Action in the News
- Orientation Session Arranged For Media About Deworming Campaign In ICT Schools. UrduPoint News reports on the significant need for school-based deworming in Pakistan, and mentions the technical support we are providing the government for the current ICT deworming campaign.
- The Case for Evidence-Based Innovation and Implications for USAID (and Beyond). The CGD explores the increasing demand for innovative ways to address development challenges, and mentions our dispensers as an example of an innovation that reaches millions and measures its impact with high-quality data.
- Deworming at school. The News International stresses the importance of deworming, and highlights how our Deworm the World Initiative is assisting the Government of Pakistan in tackling the issue of parasitic worms within the country.
- Activist Annie Duflo Uses Data and Incentives to Fight Global Poverty. The Wall Street Journal explores the work of IPA’s executive director Annie Duflo. Our Dispensers for Safe Water program is used as an example of IPA’s research in action, and how data can be used to successfully combat global poverty.
- Making Sense Podcast: Doing Good. Sam Harris discusses effective altruism with William MacAskill, an Associate Professor in Philosophy and Research Fellow at the University of Oxford. Our Dispensers for Safe Water is mentioned as a highly effective charity.
You can improve (or even save) lives without being rich. Here are 3 things to know about effective giving. Business Insider reports on ways to give effectively, highlighting GiveWell’s recommended charities and deworming interventions as especially impactful examples.
These are the charities where your money will do the most good. Vox’s Future Perfect explores which charities do the most good per dollar. Evidence Action is highlighted multiple times throughout.
- Evidence Action: Deworming the World. Great.com interviews Evidence Action’s Chief Engagement Officer, Grace Hollister, regarding the incredible work of our Deworm the World Initiative.
Which charities do the most good? Charity Navigator joins the effort to answer this crucial question. Vox reports on Charity Navigator’s new ability to asses impact, as a result of acquiring Impact Matters. Evidence Action’s Dispensers for Safe Water is used as an example of a charity that has been rated highly for impact.
How the COVID-19 pandemic has changed how we give to charity. Fast Company reports on how the pandemic has driven more people to donate based on impact. Our Deworm the World initiative is referenced as one of GiveWell’s eight top charities, and is used as an example of an impactful program.
A new study finds that giving kids deworming treatment still benefits them 20 years later. Vox reports on a new landmark longitudinal study demonstrating the long term benefits of deworming children. Evidence Action’s Deworm the World Initiative is mentioned as an example of effective deworming at scale.
- Celebrating a milestone: 1,000 randomized evaluations by J-PAL affiliates. J-PAL celebrates its affiliates collectively conducting over 1,000 randomized evaluations, and mentions Evidence Action as an example of how the results of these evaluations can lead to impact at scale.
How Our Recommended Charities are Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic. The Life You can Save explores how its recommended charities are addressing COVID-19 and highlights Dispensers for Safe Water’s incredible response in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Developing countries can respond to COVID-19 in ways that are swift, at scale, and successful. Brookings highlights how COVID-19 responses can successfully be carried out at scale and mentions Evidence Action as an example of how responses can be tailored to specific sectoral circumstances.
- The Global Impact of Deworming Initiatives. Borgen Magazine explores parasitic worm infections and the global impact of deworming, highlighting Evidence Action’s Deworm the World Initiative as an example of a high impact and cost effective approach to deworming.
- NGO Rolls Out Hygiene Project To 1.3M Ugandans In Bid To Curb COVID-19 Spread. Soft Power News explores Evidence Action’s response to COVID-19 in Uganda, which aims to provide 1.3 million Ugandans with access to safe water, soap and disinfectant.
- Evidence Action kicks-off COVID-19 prevention hygiene project. The Independent reports on Evidence Action’s COVID-19 Prevention Hygiene Project, which is designed to support rural Sub-Saharan communities in slowing the spread of COVID-19.
- NGO launches Covid-19 hygiene project for Africa. The Star explores how Evidence Action is mobilizing its supply chain and preexisting networks to support at risk rural communities in Sub-Saharan Africa with Covid-19 prevention efforts.
- Working Towards An Anemia-Mukt Bharat. Outlook Poshan explores how Evidence Action has been assisting the government of India in tackling the prevalent issue of anemia within the country, through the use of deworming treatments and IFA supplementation.
- 5 Organizations Providing Medical Supplies And Improving Health Care Worldwide. Ezvid Wiki chose to feature Evidence Action’s Dispensers for Safe Water Program in a video highlighting organizations that improve healthcare world wide.
- Water and climate joined at the hip. An Opinion piece in the Daily Nation explores how Evidence Action’s Dispensers for Safe Water, simultaneously combats climate change and generates carbon credits – which are used to help sustain the program.
- How School-Based Deworming Programme Improves Child’s Mental Health. The Nigerian Tribune explores how a school-based deworming program in Oyo State, Nigeria, for which Evidence Action provides technical assistance, improves child productivity and welfare.
- UAE’s Dubai Cares Launches $3 Million Deworming Project For Pakistani Children. UrduPoint News reports on the launch of a school based deworming project by Dubai Cares, which will be implemented by the Government of Pakistan in partnership with Evidence Action.
- C’River Government won’t relent in providing sustainable health care system. Vanguard Nigeria covers the Government of Cross River State’s response to World NTD day, which included an acknowledgement of the support provided by Evidence Action.
- Dubai Cares joins Pakistani Government’s efforts to combat intestinal worms among children. The Emirates News Agency reports on a partnership between Dubai Cares and Evidence Action, that supports the Government of Pakistan in combating intestinal worms.
- This is truly a Nobel for the people. An Opinion piece in the Daily Nation explores the positive effects that this years Nobel laureates have had on global development.
Six-Person Firm Giving $100,000 to Most Effective Charities. Cision News reports that Butler Law Firm’s Giving Project, an organization that aims to do “the greatest good for the greatest number” will be donating $50,000 to Evidence Action’s Deworm the World Initiative.
- Planning to Donate? Know What Your Dollar Buys. The New York Times explores the importance of charity rating agencies like ImpactMatters, and highlights Dispensers for Safe Water as an example of a highly effective charity.
- These are the charities where your money will do the most good. Vox explains how to pick the best charity and recommends a list of charities where your donations will have the biggest impact. Evidence Action is mentioned multiple times throughout this article.
- FG, Oyo Government Kick-Off Exercise To Deworm 2.1m Pupils. The Nigerian Tribune covers the second round of school-based deworming taking place in Oyo State, and highlights the technical and financial support provided by Evidence Action.
- New Ratings Site Measures Charity Impact, Goes Beyond Financial Data. The Chronicle of Philanthropy reports on ImpactMatter’s great new tool which assesses the social impact of charities. Dispensers for Safe Water is featured on their list of 5-star non-profits.
KP health minister opens ‘Deworming Initiative of School-age Children’. The News International covers the Launch of Deworming Day in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan, and reports on the technical assistance provided by Evidence Action.
4.6 Children To Deworm In KP On Oct 31: Hyber Pakhtunkhwa Minister For Health Dr Hisahm Inamullah. UrduPoint News reports on the successful launch of the first Deworming Day in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, and mentions Evidence Action’s role in coordinating this initiative.
- Dubai Expo 2020: The World Expo Picks 25 Innovative Projects To Help Change The World. Masala covers the 25 innovative projects picked for EXPO 2020, one of which is Dispensers for Safe Water.
- MIT and Harvard professors win Nobel Prize for tackling poverty with careful experiments. The Boston Globe covers Nobel Prize winners Kremer and Duflo, and highlights how Kremer’s research led them to found Deworm the World.
- Pioneer in work on poverty eradication. The Tribune (India) reports on the co-winners of the Nobel Prize for Economics, and singles out Deworm the World as one successful result of their award winning research.
- EXPO 2020 selects 25 innovative projects. Gulf News reports on the 25 innovative projects, selected from nearly 1,200 entries, chosen for EXPO 2020. Dispensers for Safe Water was one the 25 selected.
- 15 charities where you can see your direct impact. Stacker has included us in a list of impactful charities and highlights our Deworm the World initiative.
- Scaling: What to do when the evidence disappoints. Apolitical discusses how we approached the disappointing results from a 2017 RCT of No Lean Season.
- Why an anti-poverty programme in Bangladesh failed. The Economist reports following our decision to terminate No Lean Season.
- This charity just cancelled one of its poverty programs. That’s a good thing. Vox Future Perfect discusses Evidence Action’s decision to terminate No Lean Season.
Evidence Action on mission to make every child worm-free, Deccan Chronicle. This article highlights Evidence Action’s support of the Government of India in expanding deworming coverage to hundreds of millions of children through National Deworming Day.
Why This Charity Isn’t Afraid To Say It Failed. NPR Goats and Soda. This story on our evidence-first commitment with No Lean Season features interviews with Senior Director, Innovation Karen Levy, Yale Research Partner Mushfiq Mobarak, and GiveWell’s Catherine Hollander.
99 Good News Stories You Probably Didn’t Hear About in 2018. Future Crunch. The list features our Deworm the World Initiative’s work in Kenya (#29), highlighting how worm-related diseases have fallen from 33.4% in 2012 to 3% after five successful rounds of school-based deworming.
A charity just admitted that its program wasn’t working. That’s a big deal. Vox Future Perfect. Following the publication of No Lean Season’s RCT results, this article discusses how “Evidence Action’s commitment to research and transparency should be a model for other nonprofits.”
These are the charities where your money will do the most good. Vox Future Perfect. Dylan Matthews highlights Evidence Action’s No Lean Season and Deworm the World Initiative in this guide to giving effectively.
Lean Impact. Ann Mei Chang cites Evidence Action’s Deworm the World Initiative and No Lean Season as examples in her discussion of “how to innovate for radically greater social good.”
Government plans mass deworming in Islamabad. The News International (Pakistan). This article mentions Evidence Action’s role as a partner organization in the Government of Pakistan’s mass deworming.
ENVISION In Focus: Scaling Up the NTD Fight in Nigeria. RTI International. This video reflects on the impact of our collective school-based deworming efforts in Nigeria’s Cross River State.
How Can Philanthropy Do More Good? Yale Insights. No Lean Season is highlighted as an evidence-based approach to mitigating seasonal poverty in this interview with Aaron Dorfman, president and CEO of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy.
Kanika Bahl pulls back the curtain on innovation in development, Displaced podcast. In this interview with Ravi Gurumurthy and Grant Gordon of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) at Devex World 2018, CEO Kanika Bahl discusses how we’re rethinking impact, scale, and innovation in development.
Can “effective altruism” maximise the bang for each charitable buck? The Economist. This article discusses the Effective Altruism movement and the most cost-effective and evidence-based poverty alleviation interventions, including Evidence Action’s Deworm the World Initiative and No Lean Season.
Together, we can transform our nation, Daily Nation (Kenya). Deputy President William Ruto hailed G-United (our Winning Start program partnership with the Government of Kenya) as example of “service [and] spirit need[ed]” to achieve their Big Four agenda.
Turning Evidence into Action: It’s a process. Foundation Beyond Belief. In this guest-article, our Chief Engagement Officer Grace Hollister discusses our process of scaling up evidence-based, cost-effective programs to impact millions.
Making Donor Dollars Count: GiveWell’s Approach to Selecting Charities, J-PAL. Elie Hassenfeld (GiveWell) discusses why our Deworm the World Initiative and No Lean Season programs are GiveWell Top Charities.
Bangladesh experiments with a new approach to poverty alleviation, The Economist. Discussion of No Lean Season’s work to pay rural families to send seasonal workers to nearby urban centers
Turning evidence into action, Marc Gunther. Evidence Action’s approach and positive outcomes are the focus of this article.
How less than $20 can ensure food security in Bangladesh, Dhaka Tribune. No Lean Season’s model and impact are outlined.
Want To Help Someone In A Poor Village? Give Them A Bus Ticket Out, NPR Goats and Soda. No Lean Season’s work is explored in depth.
Initiatives for Deworming in Developing Countries, Borgen Magazine. Features our Deworm the World Initiative’s impacts across the globe.
When Good Intentions Aren’t Enough, Nevertheless. Interview with CEO Kanika Bahl on cost-effectiveness and rigorous testing of evidence.
9 Effective-Altruism-Endorsed Organizations For The Most Rational Givers, Fast Company. Deworm the World Initiative and No Lean Season mentioned, No Lean Season especially highlighted for the positive implications of its endorsement.
Yale-affiliated program in Bangladesh named a top charity, YaleNews. No Lean Season is celebrated for its top charity status.
For the Holidays, Pull a Tooth or Save a Life, New York Times. Deworm the World Initiative is mentioned as one of Nick Kristoff’s 2017 charities to give to.
Q&A Series #6: When Women Do Better, Countries Do Better, US AID. Interview with CEO Kanika Bahl on women entrepreneurs and innovations with impact.
The path to scale: Replication, general equilibrium effects, and new settings, VoxDev. Part II on No Lean Season, its efforts, effects, and future growth.
The path to scale: From randomised control trial to scalable programme, VoxDev. The history of No Lean Season is discussed along with the effects of the program.
What Y Combinator Looks for in Nonprofits, Y Combinator. No Lean Season is discussed as an example of programs based in rigorous evidence.
Empathy for Edwin: From Data to Stories, Christina Riechers. A look into Dispensers for Safe Water from a story-telling perspective, and the need to engage both hearts and minds in the giving process.
Three technologies to address drinking water challenges, GreenTechLead. Dispensers for Safe Water is discussed as a green technology helping to increase access to drinking water.
Breaking the hunger cycle for the price of a bus ticket, Financial Times. No Lean Season is discussed as an innovative solution to seasonal hunger (Paywall)
The 52 startups that launched at Y Combinator W17 Demo Day 1, Tech Crunch. Evidence Action Beta’s No Lean Season is featured as one of the 52 new Y Combinator startups.
Press Release: Kanika Bahl Announced as New CEO
Seasonal hunger, deprivation are under the radar, Policy Options. The Evidence Action Beta team publishes an overview of “No Lean Season” that aims to reduce seasonal rural poverty.
Press Release: Evidence Action Announces Leadership Transition
Karen Levy of Evidence Action, Aidpeneuer Podcast.
Safe Water for All: Scaling Up is Doable. WASH Funders, May 2, 2016
Why Access Isn’t Enough: We Need Safe, High-Quality Water as a Service. WASH Funders, April 12, 2016
Smart Ways to Fight Poverty and Provide Economic Opportunity, Financial Times, April 5, 2016. Featuring Evidence Action Beta’s research on scaling up No Lean Season.
Helping Farmers in the Lean Season. Daily Star, Bangladesh, March 28, 2016. Featuring Evidence Action Beta’s research on No Lean Season.
Ideas Help No One on a Shelf. Take Them to the World.
February 29, 2016, New York Times
Evidence Action is featured in Fixes column
Deworming: Now More Than Ever, a Best Buy for Development
February 25, 2016, Devex
A look at what makes school-based mass deworming a cost-effective intervention.
Deseret News Heroes of 2015: 7 People Who Made a Difference this Year
December 23, 2015, Deseret News
Evidence Action Board Chair Amrita Ahuja honored
How to Give the Most Bang for Your Buck this Christmas
December 25 , 2015, Telegraph
Deworm the World Initiative named effective charity
Deseret News Heroes of 2015: 7 People Who Made a Difference this Year
December 23, 2015, Deseret News
Evidence Action Board Chair Amrita Ahuja honored
The Power and Efficacy of Effective Altruism
December 4, 2015, Financial Times
A look at Effective Altruism movement
101 Charities You Could Donate to this Holiday Season
December 2, 2015, New York Magazine
Evidence Action listed among charities in the International Development and Infrastructure category
These are the Charities Where Your Money Will Do the Most Good
December 1, 2015, Vox
Evidence Action named among most effective charities
Our Grants to GiveWell’s 2015 Recommended Charities
December 1 , 2015, Good Ventures Blog
Announced commitment to financially suppport GiveWell’s top charities
Peter Singer’s Best Charities for 2016
November 30, 2015, The Life You Can Save Blog
Evidence Action was named amont the best charities for 2016
Peter Singer’s Extremely Altruistic Heirs
November 30, 2015, New Republic
A look at the Effective Altruism movement
Ethiopia’s National School-Based Deworming Programme To Treat 16.5 Million
November 23, 2015, Imperial College
Announcement of Ethiopia’s ambitious deworming plans
Our Updated Top Charities for Giving Season 2015
November 18, 2015, GiveWell Blog
Deworm the World Initiative at Evidence Action was once named a top charity by GiveWell for the third consecutive year
November 6, 2015, Stanford Social Innovation Review
A look at how the Deworm the World Initiative in India supported the deworming of 89 million children in a single day
A New Kind of Development Professional: the Development Engineer
September 23, 2015, DevEx
UC Berkley offers course in development engineering
How Do You Quantify Good?
September 9, 2015, Washington Post
Article from GiveWell on evaluating effectiveness of charities
Evaluating Benefits of De-worming Kids Opens a Can of Worms
September 8, 2015, Humanosphere
Tom Murphy’s perspective on #wormwars
Striving for Scale
August 25, 2015, Centre for Public Impact
Interview with former Executive Director Alix Zwane about evidence and scale.
Worm Wars: The Anthology
August 4, 2015, World Bank Blog – Development Impact
Summary of the debate about the benefits of mass deworming.
What Botswana’s Teen Girls Learn in ‘Sugar Daddy’ Class
July 30, 2015, NPR Goats and Soda Blog
Evidence Action’s Beta program Young 1ove on NPR.
Mapping the Worm Wars: What the Public Should Take Away from the Scientific Debate about Mass Deworming
July 30, 2015, Center for Global Development Blog
Dear Journalists and Policy Makers: What You Need to Know About the Worm Wars
July 23, 2015, Chris Blattman’s blog
The Positive Impact of Deworming in Kenyan Schools: The Evidence Untangled
July 23, 2015, The Conversation
Doing Good Scientifically
July 2, 2015, Harvard Magazine
Overview of Evidence Action’s work focused on evidence and scale.
The Greatest Good
June 30, 2015, The Atlantic Monthly
Evidence Action/Deworm the World is featured as a high-impact charity to donate to.
Choosing Where to Donate to Charity is Tough. Here’s a Simple Guide to Help.
May 20, 2015, Vox.com
May 9, 2015, Engage Magazine (Steve Sinnott Foundation)
Featuring Evidence Action’s work in India
Meet the 2015 Class of Young Global Leaders
March 17, 2015
World Economic Forum
Evidence Action’s then-Executive Director Alix Zwane, named a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum.
India Launches Campaigns Against 2 Neglected Diseases
February 6, 2015, Humanosphere
India Starts Deworming Campaign to Protect Young Population
February 9, 2015, Financial Times
National Deworming Day to be Launched on Monday
February 9, 2015, The Hindu
Visible Change in Country’s Health Indicators: Union Minister JP Nadda
February 9, 2015, NDTV
Deworm to Not Lose Gains Made on Child Health and Nutrition
February 10, 2015, Asian Tribune
Health Ministry Launches ‘National Deworming Day’
February 9, 2015, EP News Bureau-Mumbai
Dubai Cares Contributes Dh11 Million to Deworming Program in India
February 9, 2015, Khaleej Times
Deworm To Not Lose Gains Made On Child Health And Nutrition
February 9, 2015, Citizen News Service
Ministry of Health & Family Welfare launches ‘National Deworming Day’
February 9, 2015, newkerala.com
School for Scaling
Spring 2015, Stanford Social Science Review
Ethiopia Launches School Program to Treat Parasitic Worms
January 9, 2015, Reuters
Gifts that Inspire
December 6, 2014, Nick Kristoff column in the New York Times
The Three Most Effective Charities for Helping the Poor
December 2, 2014 , Gawker
Making Sense: Where to Give Your Money this Holiday Season, According to Behavioral Economics
December 18, 2014, PBS News Hour
The Best Ways to Give
December 26, 2014, Project Syndicate
How Behavioural Science Could Revamp Development
December 22, 2014, SciDevNet
Deworming the World for Better Schools, Brighter Futures
December 18, 2014, World Economic Forum
Clean, Safe Water for All
November 3, 2014, Innovative Development Blog
Stop Trying to Save the World
November 17, 2014, The New Republic
Dispensers for Safe Water: A 360-degree-view of a Sustainable Water Service that Works
October 14, 2014, Wash Funders Blog
A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity (Book)
Nicholas D. Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn
September 23, 2014
Graduate Hiring Plan to Target Slow Learners in Rural Schools
September 15, 2014, Daily Nation
Experiments in Development: Time to rethink RCTs?
September 22, 2014, DevEx
Icy logic: Choosing a Charity with Your Head and Your Heart
September 7, 2014, BBC News Magazine
Social Good = Scale x Impact (Who knew?)
September 3, 2014, Bridgespan Blog
Scaling Dispensers for Safe Water for Millions: What’s the Business Model?
August 25, 2014, WASH Funders blog
35 Smart Things to Do With $1000, Now
August 25, 2014, Time Magazine
Why I’m Not Doing the #icebucketchallenge or Donating to ALS
August 27, 2014, Humanosphere
Ezra Klein Explains the Ice Bucket Challenge
August 20, 2014, Vox
August 4, 2020
March 25, 2020
October 17, 2019
September 27, 2019
January 31, 2019
For general inquiries, please contact:
Liam Chan Hodges