The Deworm the World Initiative envisions a world where all at-risk children have improved health, increased access to education, and better livelihoods potential as a result of being free of intestinal worms.
- We work with governments around the world to eliminate the public health threat of worms through scaling up school-based mass deworming programs.
- We advocate for national school-based deworming to policymakers, and provide technical assistance to governments to launch, strengthen, and sustain school-based deworming programs.
- We focus on large-scale school-based deworming programs as they leverage existing infrastructure that result in treatment coverage of over 80% of at-risk children.
1.POLICY AND ADVOCACY WITH GOVERNMENTS
We advocate with governments to launch deworming programs, then work collaboratively with them to establish effective policies and long-term commitment by building their capacity, mobilizing domestic support and sharing global best practices to improve cost-effectiveness and results.
4.PUBLIC AWARENESS AND MOBILIZATION
We work with governments and communications experts to design locally appropriate awareness campaigns to communicate messages through a wide variety of channels to increase public acceptance and effectiveness of deworming programs.
7. DRUG MANAGEMENT AND COORDINATION
We help governments evaluate appropriate drug treatment strategies and dosage, support drug procurement including through global pharmaceutical donation programs, and design robust serious adverse event protocols and drug tracking systems.
2.PREVALENCE SURVEYING AND MAPPING
We work with epidemiologists and local partners to assess worm prevalence and intensity, obtaining data to develop a targeted treatment strategy and to determine the impact of programs once they are in place.
5. MONITORING AND EVALUATION
We help governments design monitoring systems to measure effectiveness in achieving intended program objectives. We also conduct independent monitoring to validate program results, and evaluate the impact of programs in reducing worm prevalence and intensity.
3.PROGRAM PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
We work closely with ministries of education and health to design a program with joint ownership, develop operational plans and budgets, coordinate logistics, and provide on-the-ground support to ensure a high quality outcome.
6.TRAINING AND DISTRIBUTION CASCADE
We consistently design and support training through an efficient multi-tier cascade approach that is tailored to the local context, ensuring knowledge reaches from the national level all the way to the teachers responsible for administering deworming medication.