How do I give to a specific program of Evidence Action?

The easiest way is to use the following links:

For larger donations (over $1,000), we recommend donating via ACH, check, or wire transfer, due to the processing fees incurred from online donations. See this page for further information on other ways to give. 

Why should I give to Where the Need is Greatest?

Unrestricted donations are the most important donations you can give. The best way to support our work is by giving to our unrestricted fund, which allows us the flexibility to take advantage of new and unexpected opportunities, to ensure the cost-effectiveness of the organization as a whole, and to fill funding gaps of programs when needed. Unrestricted support allows the organization to maintain the highest level of efficiency possible, helps the organization to weather storms when they arise and allows our organization to focus on maintaining the highest impact per donor dollar.

We have renamed the Where the Need is Greatest fund to Evidence Action (Unrestricted) to more clearly state the designation of donations received to this fund; to contribute, you may donate on this page here.

Is my donation tax deductible?

Donations made by individuals living in the U.S. are tax-deductible. Evidence Action is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization and your donation is tax-deductible within the guidelines of U.S. law. To claim a donation as a deduction on your U.S. taxes, please keep your donation receipt as your official record. For individuals living outside the U.S., please view options for tax-deductible donations here.

If I’m a recurring donor, how do I update my credit card information or donation amount in my online account?

See here for instructions on how to update credit card information or donation amount, and how to manage your recurring donation.

How can I update my personal information?

If you already have an online account with Evidence Action, you can update your personal information online by logging into your online account. If you currently do not have an online donation account, you may contact us at [email protected] or calling and leaving a detailed voicemail at +1 202.888.9886.

I tried making a donation online, but it didn’t seem to process. What happened?

We are sorry to hear that you had difficulty making a donation. Make sure:

  1. The billing address you entered matches the address associated with your credit/debit card
  2. Your device has a strong internet connection, so that the payment can fully process
  3. Your credit card and banking information is accurate and your card hasn’t expired
  4. Your bank has not declined the charge due to a fraud check on their side.

If you have attempted to donate online and received a ‘donation declined’ message, please check with your bank to see if the transaction actually went through.

I’m completing my taxes and need the mailing address and tax ID for Evidence Action.

The mailing address and tax ID for Evidence Action is:

Evidence Action

1133 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 200

Washington, DC 20036

Tax ID: 90-0874591

How long will it take to receive a receipt for a donation?

Receipts for mail donations are typically sent within 3 weeks following when we receive your gift. For online donations, a printable receipt is sent via email within minutes of the successful transaction.

If you did not receive a receipt for a gift you’ve made, please contact us by emailing [email protected] or calling +1 202.888.9886.

How can I verify that their donation has been processed?

Gifts made by phone via credit card can be verified through your credit card company. Gifts made via check can be verified by your bank. Gifts made online can be verified by logging into your online donation account and reviewing Transaction History. Additionally, you can confirm that the Evidence Action has received your donation by contacting us at [email protected] or calling +1 202.888.9886.

My company emailed me stating that Evidence Action has not responded to a Matching Gift request. How do I follow up to make sure Evidence Action has received the additional funds?

Please send your request to [email protected]. In the email, please provide your:

  • Full Name
  • Full Address
  • Donation Amount
  • Date of Donation
  • Name of corporation participating in an employee giving program

We will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

Can I change where I want my donation to go?

Yes. Please contact us at [email protected] or at +1 202.888.9886. Please have ready the date of your gift, the dollar amount, the program it went to, and where you would like it to be allocated. If you need to leave a voicemail message, please be sure to leave your name and phone number, including your area code.

For any questions you have that aren’t addressed above, please contact us at [email protected].