Our Results At A Glance
- The Deworm the World Initiative supported governments to treat more than 190 million children in the 2015/16 school year in India, Kenya, Ethiopia, Vietnam, and Nigeria.
- We support the world's largest single-day, school-based deworming program in India that treated more than 179 million children in schools and preschools in 2016 in two deworming rounds.
- With technical assistance from the Deworm the World Initiative, Kenya's National School-Based Deworming Programme is now in its fourth year, consistently treating more than 6 million children annually.
- The number of national deworming programs is growing - we support the national program in Ethiopia, and have begun work in Vietnam and Nigeria.
- The deworming programs we support have resulted in substantial progress toward scaling up STH treatment globally.
- GiveWell named the Deworm the World Initiative at Evidence Action one of its top-rated charities four years running.
Evidence Action’s Deworm the World Initiative has ambitious plans in the next several years to eliminate the public health threat of parasitic worms. We are poised to take advantage of an unparalleled window of opportunity to rapidly accelerate treatment coverage of children worldwide.
Multilateral organizations, pharmaceutical companies, NGOs, and governments are prioritizing the elimination of neglected tropical diseases, allocating resources and developing roadmaps for scaling up treatment.
- Decrease the worm burden by expanding school-based deworming into new geographies.
- Build sustained government capacity to operate consistent, cost-effective, and high-quality school-based deworming programs.
- Catalyze partners to adopt school-based deworming models and associated best practices to close the treatment gap.